Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Grandma H


Grandma Laura had an upright piano that was remodeled and cut down. It proudly sat in the one end of the living room. Sunday evenings or afternoons at my Dad’s parents almost always included some time spent with her playing. I know a large repertoire of songs from the 40’s.

I can sing along with the likes of Sentimental Journey, Bye Bye Black Bird, Tea for Two, I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter, and Mr. Sandman. I am rather fond of the tunes I learned sitting beside her on the piano bench.

Grandmother Laura played music at a silent theatre. My Aunt Joyce recently discovered a postcard of the building. The King Theatre and the Albia Business College and Normal School were in the same building. Grandma graduated from the Normal School and taught country school in Lockman, Iowa. That is where she met my Grandfather, Paul. I suspect he was working in the coal mines. It has always been told that he did not like the mines and did not work there long. Grandma’s father spent much of his working years in the mines. Dad said he was one of the persons that set the blast, and was a respected part of the mining community. He was very good with numbers. This made him an excellent cribbage player. Sunday afternoons the men in the family would play cards and cribbage at my great grandparents. My great grandma, Sadie Cox, did not approve but that did not stop them. They lived next door to their daughter, Laura and family . I spent most of my time at their place when we visited. I remember both my grandmother and great grandmother as excellent story tellers. How I wish we had a recording of them talking

Dad tells that when they built the homes in about 1939. My great grandparents had $500. That is what they spent on their home. In later years the home was added on to by Dad and other members of the family so that it had a downstairs bedroom, an updated kitchen, and a bathroom.

I suspect there may be a couple of acres in total for the two homes. Today when I drive by the house is much smaller than I recall as a child. The yard seemed huge when I was small. Our farm stead is much larger. Grandpa Paul built a shed for his ponies, both families had large gardens and I think my great grandparents had a small chicken house. Now is it all yard.

Behind the house was a large willow tree. I loved to pick willow branches and strip the leaves. I know willow trees can be messy but I loved that tree. On many a summer afternoon we would have fresh picked red raspberries picked from the patch and vanilla ice cream when we visited.

Taken for their 50th Anniversary in 1974
I do not believe they had a wedding photo.  I went with Grandma when she picked up a plain gold band for Grandpa for a gift that year.  It was the first he had a wedding ring.  I do not recall what she wore.

The January 24th is Grandma’s birth day. She was born in Lockman, Albia County in 1907, the second child and only daughter of Harry and Sarah “Sadie” Cox. She was the grandmotherly type. I loved staying at their place. Grandma made the best homemade noodles, she loved camping trips, cooking in what I can only describe as a very small kitchen she turned out yummy meals.


Cindi with Grandma in the aftermath of Christmas around 1958-1960.

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter

Recorded in 1935 by Fats Waller, Lyricist Joe Young, and song writer Fred E Ahlert


I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter
And make believe it came from you
I'm gonna write words oh so sweet
They're gonna knock me off my feet
A lotta kisses on the bottom
I'll be glad I got 'em

I'm gonna smile and say
I hope you're feeling better
I'll close with love the way you do
I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter
And I'm gonna make believe it came from you

Oh yeah

I'm gonna write words oh so sweet
They're gonna knock me off my feet
A lotta kisses on the bottom
I'll be glad I got 'em

Oh yeah

I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter
And I'm make believe it came from you

Oh yeah

I'm gonna make believe it came from you

Oh yeah



Sentimental Journey Sentimental Journey

Doris Day

Words and music by Bud Green, Les Brown and Ben Homer

Les Brown, with Doris as his "girl singer", charted at #1 in 1945


Gonna take a sentimental journey
Gonna set my heart at ease
Gonna make a sentimental journey
To renew old memories

Got my bag, got my reservation
Spent each dime I could afford
Like a child in wild anticipation
Long to hear that "All aboard"

Seven, that's the time we leave, at seven
I'll be waitin' up for heaven
Countin' every mile of railroad track
That takes me back

Never thought my heart could be so yearny
Why did I decide to roam?
Gotta take that sentimental journey
Sentimental journey home

No comments: